Sunday, July 18, 2010

RON ASHETON

I photographed Ron Asheton thrice, once at the Coconut Teazser club in L.A. sitting in with The Empty Set (you actually can order a legit cd of that gig here http://birdcagerecords.com/?page_id=3460 ;) once with Dark Carnival at another venue (middle photo with the inimitable Niagara;) and once at a recording session with Scott Richardson (SRC,) and Ray Manzarek (The Doors) (third pic above with yours truly by their producer, Harvey Kubernik. It was eighteen years ago, and I hardly resemble that now, although I still wear the same Death Cult t-shirt with Mickey's skull.)

The aforementioned SRC/Stooges/Doors confab alligned for Richardson's 1992 spoken word release "Tornado Souvenirs" on New Alliance Records, a SoCal punk label. Scott also corralled his former father-in-law Robert Mitchum to contribute dialogue. Ron and Ray noodled interesting musics behind Scott's prose-poems.

There were a few very late night phone calls to me as well that annoyed my better half, who had to arise at 5 a.m. for work. I regret that I never was able to get the two of them together to talk guns and military history from similar well-informed, warped/witty, rock and rollers' P.O.V.s. Ron was always photogenic slamming into his guitar. July 17 is the anniversary of Ron's birthday. R.I.P.

3 comments:

MJG196 said...

Thank you very much for this blog entry! Ron is dearly missed by many. And WTF is up with Manzarek and former Stooges?!

Anonymous said...

The shot of Ron Asheton at the Teaszer is definitely with the Empty Set. I was the guy on the other side of the stage playing the Telecaster. Great shot! I'd like to see more :))
That was a great night for me.

VINCE C. said...

always was total class- great lp too - bout time for re issue .

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...