Wednesday, February 15, 2012

STRAY PHOTOS 2.15.12

Above, Melanie Harrold of the metal band Bad Xample, in my studio in Venice sometime in the 1980s. She was (and probably still is) a terrific, strong-voiced singer, and the band's overall effect was that of Bessie Smith fronting Aerosmith.

She gave me one of my favorite compliments ever saying despite her normal sense of awkwardness at photo sessions, I made her feel as comfortable as if she were in her granny's warm kitchen. Bad Xample had terrific management, so I don't know what happened to the rest of the story insofar as you've never heard of them. Melanie briefly jammed with an all-female, potential supergroup which included guitarist Jan King (see LINK) and The Dogs' bassist Mary Kay (see LINK,) after which I lost contact...


In the mid-1970s, somewhere in West L.A. near where I lived after UCLA. There were and always are a lot of "teardowns" (gratuitous destruction of historic buildings) in this area of Los Angeles so I didn't want for subjects of that ilk, the above being an experiment with infra-red color film. Below, a guest photograph by Kurt Ingham of the Thoroughly Modern Digital Photographer circa 2012, processing RAWfiles for hours on end...

2 comments:

Retro Kimmer said...

your office is much neater than mine for sure...

Fast Film said...

!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...