Wednesday, January 12, 2011

TALES TOLD OUT OF SCHOOL, 2.0 in which I book Kaleidoscope for my Senior Prom



(Second in a series of tales told out of school, both literally and figuratively, how my Swiss Cheese brain remembers such events which may or may not be accurate at all. Preface: I attended a girls' private prep school in the 1960s with a student body who often mimicked the creativity of that era with its own high spirits, a pendulum reaction to the heavy course load and voluminous homework from which many of us still haven't caught up on lost sleep some forty-plus years on and from which many of us still retain permanently stooped posture via carrying heavy textbooks. Well, it's not like there existed alternatives to those heavy textbooks. We didn't have personal home computers because no one on this particular planet in this galaxy had them yet. So let's roll back the roiling mists of time to The Pleistocene of my youth.)

I Was A Teenaged Rock Booking Agent! Above, photographic proof of my role in booking 1960s legendary band Kaleidoscope for my Senior Prom. Now, the exact extent of that role is lost to the Paisley Corridors of Time due to aforementioned Swiss Cheese brain. However, I knew bandmember David Lindley's first cousin (pictured above looking miserable despite anonymity protection, next to the 17-year-old yours truly who bears no resemblance whatsoever to the present one) hence I must have provided at minimum the contact info necessary to book this popular major-label-signed band. Both my miserable date (cryptic, but LINK) and the caftan-clad Lindley were nephews of actress/icon Loretta Young whose son was Peter Lewis of the astonishing Moby Grape (see LINK) making for one heckuva talented and good looking second generation of Hollywood players.
 

Yes, we danced merrily to "O Death" (see video below) and assorted fifteen minute ragas from Kaleidoscope at the impossibly trendy The Daisy Club in Beverly Hills, normally happy hunting grounds of those trolling for starlets and heiresses in the mid to late 1960s. I later booked Mint Tattoo, a San Francisco band immortalized on assorted classic psychedelic posters, to a private Bel Air party where to my infinite embarrassment the hostess insisted they turn down their volume, ending aforementioned Teenaged Booking Agent career through sheer mortification. 

The cousin David Lindley, a superlative multi-instrumentalist, later went on to fame, fortune and a lauded music career to this day as both solo artist plus go-to studio and tour guitarist for Jackson Browne, Linda Ronstadt, Rod Stewart and scores more garnering the respect of the entire industry at large, a rare feat. Representative videos below. I went on to forgive my teenaged self for her idiocies and badly acted upon obsessions. I wonder if my only-there-under-duress-because-it-was-his-cousin's-band miserable date ever did?

Here's David Lindley, with Ry Cooder no less, on amazing slide lap guitar in the rollicking "Mercury Blues"

and vintage Kaleidoscope roughly from our Senior Prom era. Does everyone recognize this classic from the four decades later film "O Brother Where Art Thou?" 


NOTE: link directly back to http://fastfilm1.blogspot.com if all elements such as photo layouts or videos aren't here.

4 comments:

Natalie said...

Oh, Oh, HH, What other deep, dark secrets from your past have you not yet revealed to your adoring public? I can handle just about anything except that you were a teenaged vampire who sparkled. Bring it on, HH, bring it on!

Fast Film said...

Of course I was a vampire, keep looking through this blog, the known photographic evidence is there, although on another occasion, Mr. Twister took a Polaroid of me with the resultant image showing the background but not me in it. True story.

Anonymous said...

Hello
Do you know the date of the Kaleidoscope show? I have a list of David Lindley shows from throughout the years, but I didn't know about that one.
Thanks
Bill

motherhipslive.com/tapersalmanac/lindleygigs.html

Fast Film said...

Sorry, I can't recall the exact date. It would be thereabouts of June, 1968.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...